Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thrift Store Finds

There's a tiny little thrift store in town that I started going to.  Since I thought I'd try my hand at mixed media I wanted to look for some old books to use.  Luckily, I found some -- and more.  I spotted these three little coffee mugs that have such a cool shape..  I thought they would be perfect petite vases.  Just love them.  I also found an old measuring glass that is perfect for my colored pencils.

What a cute little coffee mug vase.


Here's the trio, side by side.



My new colored pencil holder.  I love seeing the pencils.


And finally, what I went in for.  I hit the jackpot!  I bought four books, two of which are foreign.  The french book is titled Promenades litteraures et historiques.  It's of french literature and aspects of french civilization (in 1948).  And guess where it was printed -- in the USA!  The other book is titled Die Pilgerreise by John Bunyan, published in 1914.  I think it's german but really don't know.  What do you think?  The others are a copy of Wuthering Heights and a plain old vanilla dictionary.  And no, I didn't look up any curse words!!!


A little excerpt from the book - old german do you think?  I just love this type - so beautiful.



A page from the french book - doesn't compare to the german book but love it just the same.


And who could resist the fancy title page of Wuthering Heights?

   
Until next time, thank you for stopping by.  it's just been amazing, the support I've received from wonderful bloggers!  I'm slowly finding my way around.

I've been hanging out at the local Starbucks for the free wi-fi.  With all the caffeine intake, my typing is getting jittery! 







2 comments:

Jodene Shaw said...

Oh, what fun finds! I think it is German...I found a Bible storybook at a flea market this summer in German...looks like the same print style.

Thanks for your kind words and your visit to my blog! Yes, you should "get your hands dirty" with mixed media! It's so fun...no rules! Just use it all!

Rebekah said...

What fun finds! I found some old dictionerys this summer too. And an old pattern!