Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ravens in a Row

Hi all.   I've been having fun with my molding paste.  Usually I use it with a stencil to give my canvases some dimension.  This time I wanted to make feathers.  

I made this canvas for a friend for her birthday.  She usually doesn't come to my blog so I'm hoping she doesn't start any new habits......  She loves ravens.  

I did my usual thing with tissue paper to add some texture to the canvas.  Painted the canvas with a turquoise paint then did the bubble wrap thing with a lighter blue.  
I drew the ravens and painted them black with molding paste added to the paint.  I wanted to add some purple tint to the ravens but I wasn't happy with how it came out.  So, painted over the birds again.  I added some black paint around the edges.  After seeing the photo , I'm going to add some more black paint around the edges.

What about you?  Do you have a favorite bird?

Peace,
Kay

4 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Great texture and dimension to the birds Kay and the blue background is perfect for them.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Cynthia Patterson said...

molding paste and bubble wrap...who knew!!!! great job.... I'm sure she'll love it.

blessings,
Cynthia♥

Di said...

Hi Kay

Oh, this is fabulous, The blue so reminds me of the glorious skies we saw in New Mexico. Love the birds too, they could almost be blackbirds.

I love all birds but possibly my favourite is the comical blackbird who lives in our garden (yard) here. He endures all weathers, watches us from his favourite big bush (who said it was human who watched the birds?!) and dutifully splits his broods with Mrs Blackbird to raise them, once and sometimes twice in a year. He loves nothing more than an apple split into halves and will spend ages pecking away. Then, if the sun shines, he lays on the grass with his wings spread out sunbathing, almost in a trance for an hour or so at a time. I keep telling him to watch the sunburn!

His song wakes us in the morning and at dusk he performs again so beautifully. He's our little hero :)

Hugs, Di xx

dottielottie said...

Hi Kay just popping in to make sure I hadn't missed you on Julia's WOYWW list. Love your Ravens canvas on your Tuesday post, with the black of the birds against the Turquoise sky its very striking. I'm sure your friend will love it.
Happy Art Making
Hugs Lottie